Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Donation

What does it really mean to give? Isn't a gift always aimed at something? What do you desire when you give a pretty girl a flower? Sex. What do you want when you buy your boss a new coffee mug? A promotion. When you buy your child a toy? You get to let him go off and play and give you some peace and quiet. Every gift is motivated by a degree of self interest. The paint coat sometimes is not as thick as others. Giving a gift sets up a bond, a human relationship based to some degree on a desire for reciprocity. The pretty girl who gets the flower may be expected to go out again with the boy. Although the symbolism of the flower is very interesting in and of itself. In our times though it is a little ironic if you know what I mean. So, why do we need to establish bonds, why give gifts, and why develop human relationships?
In so much as a government is concerned, the individual engaging in activities that will provide himself with group power is dangerous. Capitalism does not really appreciate the gift. In fact it has done its best to devalue it. Mass produce crap, create mock gifts, all with the sinister purpose of preventing organization. If people organize than great things can happen. One man asking for justice can not do much, but a million can change the world. If the workers give gifts to each other and develop strong integrated relationships among each other the management gets worried. They hold a series of anti-union meetings and threaten the workers with termination. They call workers being to friendly fraternization. They frown upon this action. Although the term actually means to treat some as your brother. I think we are all brothers,and we should all treat each other as such. This is a problem for the exploiting class. Fraternization is frowned upon in the work place because the management is taught to feel no compassion for the workers. It is taught that exploiting them is alright, and a philosophy of universal humanity is unbeneficial to a system of outrageous exploitation.
Capitalism is hate, fraternity is love. In my life I have seen a lot of people who could be happy with a little love in their life. I may have been one of them. I often look back at myself from a far away place. I wonder if he knew who I would be today. Would this comfort him? I'm proud of who I am. I am a voice of skepticism and dissent. Me and my brothers are proud to be a community of gad flies. We goad the fascists in the majority. We push them, we ask them why, and they do not like this. We are not going away though. A strong feeling of self-empowerment. Did I develop a sense of self-actualization from a sense of revolutionary ideology? Am I merely me as a result of being placed radically juxtaposed to them for so long? One author who described a city in America once said that it was the strangest sort of place, the poor on one side of the road, and the rich on the other, the projects overlooking mansions. He admitted he had always been on the other side, the project side, and that he could never really understand the rich. I've always been on that side too. Arguments against equality have always fallen deafly on my ears. I was born poor. I don't know wealth. I have little taste for extravagance. Things will never satisfy me. I'm a bad capitalist. People are what I am interested in. I want the homeless to have a place to stay, and the hungry to have something to eat. A new car, and a big house are not my priorities. Humanity is my forte.

No comments:

Post a Comment